Friday, August 1, 2008

Some Simple Things

I watched the Solar Eclipse this morning, online.  What an amazing sight!  Something that doesn't happen very often, yet one of the most spectacular events of the natural world.

It all started me pondering on some simple things that I'd like to do.  None of them are very involved, or expensive, yet I don't think of trying to work them into my life.

One, is to go to the State Park early in the morning, walk, and just sit on the beach to watch the world wake up.  The beach doesn't actually open till 8am, but that's still early enough to experience the peace and quiet.  And I think there's a little park on the West side of the lake where I could go even earlier.  I'll have to check on that.  

I'd like to learn to kayak, and go on trips down the river-alone.  No hurry, the current flows about 4 miles an hour, and that's plenty fast enough to really enjoy the sights-the flora and fauna.  To just be one with nature, a quiet observer just passing through.  But first, I have to go downriver with someone else a few times.  The canoe livery won't rent a kayak to a beginner going alone.  I'll have to tag some of my tax refund next year for a used kayak.  For a fee, they'll pick you up with your own gear, if they're not too busy.

I'd like to take a drive, just explore some of the towns near here.  One, Gaylord, had grown alot since I lived there in the mid-70's.  Lots of little shops to explore downtown.

Spend the day at Hartwick Pines.  It's a State Park now, so there'd be no fee to get in(I have a year sticker).  They have bike and walking trails that you can spend the day on.  It's a beautiful area, and a favorite hangout for Bald Eagles.

I just have to get up the courage to do some of these things.  Courage you ask?  How much courage could it take to just get in the car and drive someplace to visit?  Well, more than I've had.  It's one of the things I'm trying to improve.  I have to screw up my courage to just walk into a little shop and look around.  I'm too conscious of what others think when they look at me.  I have this desire to be as invisible as possible.  Take up as little space as possible, in public.  Shy, timid, whatever you want to call it, I am. 

Yesterday, I did get up the courage to visit a new place in town.  It's a small art gallery that displays the artwork of some of our local artists.  I was actually looking for some handmade beads, for a necklace I'm making.  The woman that was working was so nice, giving my a tour and even showing me how to make earrings.  So, now, I will become a member when I drop off my yearly dues.  She even commented on the beaded necklace I had on and suggested that maybe I'd like to display and sell some of my work.  Okay-deep breath.  Wow!  I don't think of myself as an artist.  Just someone who does crafts.  I never expected some thing like that.  And yes, I will think about it.  I've done a few designs that I didn't see anything like in there so-maybe.  They also offer oil painting and water color classes.  They're on days, at times when I'm scheduled to work, but maybe I can schedule some days off to fit this schedule, this fall.  I'm excited about that possibility, too.  Again, I'll have to work on my courage.  Oh, and go bead shopping again!   

                                                              <3  Leigh

 

5 comments:

  1. Hello Leigh.  I have two comments for you.  One, about watching the sunrise.  Some friends climbed Mt. Katahdin in Maine one day to watch the sunrise the next morning.  Katahdin is the tallest mountain in Maine and the summit is the first place in the US to see the sun when it comes around.  They said it was a foggy night and they were worried that the trip had been pointless, but just before sunrise the fog lifted and the first rays appeared way in the distnce.  Thoreau wrote about Mt. Katahdin.

    Second, about being an artist.  There is no great quantum leap from being a craftsman to being an artist.  If you create your own designs with the bead work you do then you are one.  Most artists are crazy people, such as myself.  But it can be kept under control.  By all means put your bead work in that gallery.  When I first started drawing I didn't have the courage to show anyone my drawings.  But a friend took one and had it framed.  That changed everything.  Soon I was exhibiting and selling.  So can you.      D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy reading your thoughts. I do hope that you take the steps to engage in your list of simple things. I don't know your reasons for wanting to be as invisible as possible, but I've been in the same place for my own reasons. I haven't totally left that person behind, I've just gradually come to realize that my world will not end if I take a few steps out into the larger universe. Just breathe deeply and go for it.--Sheria

    ReplyDelete
  3. all wonderful things you want to do; I bet over time you will get the courage to venture out to explore those beautiful areas and to do some of those fun things you mentioned like kayaking; I think as you have successful adventures, like you did going into that bead shop, you'll continue to want to go out and do more and more fun things; I hve confidence in you

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe it is time for you to start thinking of yourself differently!!!  You should totally display your work!  Awesome!

    be well,
    Dawn
    http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you read "The Artist's Way" books? If not, right up your alley.

    ReplyDelete