Monday, August 25, 2008

Reactions and Emotions

I was actually looking for puzzled in the moods box, but irritated is close enough.

I was in an "almost" car accident last night.  I'm okay and so is the car.  There's only a dirty spot on the bumper where the car and pick-up truck kind of gently slid together.

I'll explain.  I was following the truck into town, reducing speed to the posted 35 mph.  The truck put on his left turn signal and started to slow down and enter the turn lane.  Then suddenly he veered back into my lane and proceeded to turn to the right, into a side street and driveway for the drug store.  I hit the brakes and steered to the right to avoid him, but speed and distance being what they were, he cut me off and the front left bumper of my car kind of rubbed with the rear right panel of the truck.  I managed to stop and avoid a collision, he slid right on by and into the parking lot.  I sat there for a few seconds-one of the good things about small towns is the lack of traffic-then proceeded to pull around the corner and off to the side of the road to compose myself.  I was pretty shaken up. 

The guy that was driving the truck came over to the car, knocked on the window, adding to my already shaky condition, as I hadn't seen him.  He asked if I was alright and apologized profusely.  Several times.  Claimed he hadn't seen me in his rearview as I was in his blind spot.  Said he didn't think we'd made contact, glanced at my left front panel, and kept apologizing.  I just sat there.  I couldn't even talk to him.  Couldn't even look him in the eye.  No damage, no cops, no increase in insurance rates.  He finally left.

I sat there a couple minutes and proceeded down the side street to take the back way home.  Promptly made a pot of coffee and poured a shot of Southern Comfort into the first couple of cups.  And began to analyze my reactions to the whole situation. 

I was very Pissed.  The jerk was 'So' in the wrong.  But I was pissed at myself, too.  I had just sat there and held my anger, not expressed the way I felt, not given him a piece of my mind.  Why?  Why couldn't I even yell at someone who definitely deserved it? 

Fear.  Fear of being in the wrong, of losing my temper, of showing my true emotions to someone who didn't even matter in the grand scheme of my life.  Fear of confrontation. 

Logically, there wouldn't have been any point in exploding.  No one was hurt, no damage was done to either vehicle.  Other than him being an unobservant asshole, there just wasn't any point.  But I remember thinking to myself, while he stood there and apologized, just keep your cool, don't say anything you'll regret.  Just get him away from the car as quickly as possible.  Before you do say something. 

And now I'm ashamed to admit that I walk through life with so much fear of it.  Fear of rejection, of creating negative feelings, even from a total stranger.  I would rather just go through life as unobtrusively as possible,  just be an "extra" in the background.  I don't want attention focused on me, for any reason. Because of the fear of living life and expressing myself. 

I recently read an article in "Yoga Journal" about accepting responsibility for what you bring to each moment and the power of the truth.  I've got to go back and reread that article.  There's a message in there for me. 

I've also started reading "Wherever You Go There You Are" by Jon Kabat-Zinn.  Mindfulness meditation in everyday life.  I own this book, picked it up at the thrift store for a quarter.  It may be the best quarter I've ever spent.

In this cyber existence, I feel that I can be more myself.  The anonymity of online communication is perfect for me, I can be here-yet hide.  I can express things that I would never have the courage to say to someones face.  

Fear.  There will be more entries about fear in the days to come.  It plays a major role in my personal make-up. 

                                                                   <3

After Marc's comment, I need to add that I did let him know that I was okay, just shaken up, and did accept his first apology.  But after that, I just wanted him to go away.  I seem to have a "me and my actions and reactions" complex right now.  And honestly, I wasn't concerned about whether he was okay or not.  Something else to think about here.  Thanks, Marc.             <3

9 comments:

  1. We ALL fear.  Every single one of us.  Don't beat yourself up to bad over this.  He may have been in the wrong but he probably really didn't see you.  And I'm sure he didn't really mean to cut you off.  He DID come over to check on you and apologize. That's why they are called accidents and not "on purposes."  
    However, giving him a piece of your mind may have gone a long way toward making sure he checks his blind spot in the future.
    I'm glad you and your car are alright.  Did you pour a couple shots of southern comfort in the gas tank?
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hell No, the shots went into my coffee!  
      <>   <>
           ^
      \______/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say Leigh, what needs looking at is NOT your inability to yell at him, which would indeed have served no purpose, but your inability to accept his apology graciously.  He shouldn't have done what he did behind the wheel, but it wasn't personal to you, and there was no reason to either take offense or shut him down. The appropriate reaction was "Yes, I'm okay, but let's exchange insurance information," in case today you had some sort of whiplash. He clearly could have used so reassurance--he obviously felt terrible for driving like a dunderhead.
    I agree that the diagnosis is fear, though, and recognizing that is a helpful step. But what would would you have him do differently? Being able to see strangers as people just like we are (certainly if they exhibit signs of being perfectly nice) is one of the ways to make the world much less fearsome.  

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were shaken up by what had happened and it isn't in your character to just go off on anyone.  I do think you did the right thing by not escalating things.  You shouldn't regret being passive in certain situations.  As you said, paraphrasing, that the outcome wouldn't have changed whether you had gotten mad or not.  Don't beat yourself up over fear.  You can conquer fear, but I don't consider you keeping your cool something that shows fear.  You are a super person, very caring, and that are such good traits to have.  Have a happy tomorrow and meditation is a good thing to master.  Luv ya!

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  5. (((Leigh)))) I tend to be one of those that don't say a lot to not stir up things when confronted in situations like this; I have lots of fears/anxieties in life; trying to work on them myself with my faith and beliefs; I truly understand what you say and how you feel at times

    glad you nor him nor vehicles were seriously injured or hurt with this incident/accident

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree it was your fear and reaction to what happened that made you angry with him.  He undoubtendly didn't see you and it sounds like he was concerned about finding where he was going.  His coming over to you and apologizing shows that he wasn't being a jerk.  We shouldn't translate our emotions over the unexpected and ruffling into an attack on someone else. It was a simple accident, that's all.   I think the Southern Comfort was an excellent idea.   D

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know Leigh, I do the same thing when bad things happen, I might "write" differently in my journal (it being my one true outlet, even then at times it is stinted and held back) I grit my teeth, I don't meet their eyes, I go rigidly silent, I hold my temper... and I always wind up feeling even more awful later for having done so, I get so PISSED at myself for not standing up for myself.  I realize the man was most probably truly sorry, maybe even for true guilt ~ then the cynic in me pops up it's ugly head and thinks maybe he was truly a jerk and has a warrant out for his arrest and didn't want you to have the police called LOL.  Where does my brain go?  Fear...is a awful, leveling feeling, when you've been abused ~  physically, verbally, mentally, emotionally we feel we must always hold it in for fear of the consequences of showing our true emotions to someone else.  It's a hard thing and I for one understand completely where you came from. Blessings** and Hugz*** Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  8. From someone who used to have no problem going off on another person who I felt had wronged me...Yeah I know hard to believe these days reading my journal - Anger never solved a thing. It took me a few years to understand that the underlying root of anger was fear. See where I'm going? You already expressed it in a very different way. Both are intertwined a bit more tightly than we realize.

    If the guy was a total inconsiderate idiot who didn't even try to see if you were alright, then it would of been justifiable to rip him a new one. However no matter how reckless he drove, no one was hurt and he did try to see if you were ok. That makes him a reasonable human being. Time, confidence and interaction in situations like this will help you overcome your fear. If I could manage to quell my anger, I know you will overcome your fear dear friend. (Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Leigh, I agree with Marc's observations. I admire your honesty in identifying how the incident made you feel but I wonder if you may not be too concerned about how you think that you should have responded instead of how you wanted to respond. There was nothing wrong with not giving this man a piece of your mind, and it certainly didn't mean that you were weak because you didn't.

    He didn't intentionally endanger you, it was an accident that fortunately, had a decent outcome. You don't have to confront someone or show anger to prove that you are not afraid. Be yourself. I suspect that woman is a decent person with an enormous capacity to forgive. I think that there is so much more strength in the ability to speak kindly than to explode in anger. Any fool can yell at somebody but it takes real courage and character to remain calm and to forgive others who have put us in danger. You are a woman of courage and character. --Sheria

    ReplyDelete